Thursday, October 18, 2007

ARE YOU AFRAID OF THE DARK?


Are You Afraid of the Dark? is a Sci-Fi/horror-themed television series. The original series was a joint production between the Canadian companies YTV and Cinar and the American company Nickelodeon. The episode "The Tale of the Phantom Cab" was aired as a pilot on the evening of October 31, 1991.

Both series revolved around a group of adolescents who referred to themselves as the "Midnight Society". One night a week, at a secret location in the woods, one member would tell a scary story to the group. The actual story, rather than the telling, was displayed to the television viewer. The story was shown between the group's arrival at the site and their departure. Each storyteller would begin their story by saying "Submitted for the approval of the Midnight Society, I call this story..." at which point he or she would toss birch bark powder into a campfire to heighten the flames and produce an eerie white smoke. The storyteller would continue by announcing its title (The Tale of...).

The themes of the stories usually revolved around paranormal phenomena, such as ghosts, magic, haunted houses, magical curses, aliens, witches and the like coming into contact with normal teenagers.

Sources of these tales varies, many were adaptations of public domain fairytales and short stories or urban legends. ARE YOU AFRAID OF THE DARK?

11 comments:

psyche said...

This tv series is my favorite since I was in grade school...My favorite episode is "The Tail of the Shiny Red Bicycle", I'm not sure if that exactly the title but as far as I remember that is...I like those kids type horrifying tv series...they rock my world...

maan said...

my favorite! i would not miss a single episode of this one.. i want to be a member of Midnight Society so i could utter this phrase:
"I declare this meeting of the Midnight Society closed. " lol! nice blog by the way. :)

Darkwell said...

This TV series is one the best horror show in national television. I just like this show when I was a kid give me goose bumps and everything.

Saige said...

I used to enjoy this show when I was kid and I always imagined myself as one of the Midnight Society, lolz!

briche said...

the most popular suspense tv series,, i like when the gang start telling a story around the bonfire

RC said...

Hey this one is my favorite! Oh, I remember those days! We used to spoof the show throwing some glitters to the camp bonfire! Scary episodes! I like the episode about the leprechaun!!!! OOOWWWW SCARRYYY!!!!

jaja said...

I use to watch this tv series when I was a kid... I remember I always scream when there is a suspense scenes..

Unknown said...

I love this scary tv series even though it wasn't that scary since it was designed for kids. I love the Midnight Society group.

Darkness23 said...

Used to watch this tv show when I was a kid and I like those creepy and funny episodes ^_^

orezman said...

nice post about this show, i used to watch and read this... i remember the episode about the haunted mirror.....

Cute Dogs said...

I remember the Midnight Society, it was fun watching it=D really cute ^_^